Who is affected by LHA?
LHA is paid to tenants in the private rented sector who claimed housing benefit on or after 7 April 2008.
If you were already receiving housing benefit on 7 April 2008 you will only be affected by the regulations if you:
- have a break of over a week in your claim
- change your address – if you rent a room or rooms this includes a change of room or rooms within the same property.
Who is not affected?
The rules do not apply to:
- council tenants
- tenants of registered social landlords such as housing associations
- protected cases such as supported housing provided by local authorities, social landlords, charities and voluntary organisations
- tenants whose tenancy began before January 1989
- tenants living in mobile homes such as caravans and houseboats
- tenants living in hostels
- tenancies that the rent officer considers contain a substantial amount of board ie meals and attendance
- tenants continuously in receipt of housing benefit before 7 April 2008.