It is important that you tell us about any changes to your, or your household’s, income straight away to prevent overpayments. You can tell us up to 13 weeks before the change is due to happen.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) share HMRC information about your earnings and private pensions with us. We will use this information to make sure that you get the correct amount of benefit that you are entitled to, but it is still your responsibility to tell us about any changes that affect your household income.
If you are a landlord and you become aware of changes in a tenant's circumstances you should tell us.
You may be asked to provide written confirmation and documentary evidence of any change in your circumstances that you report, such as:
- Ending your claim
- You are moving out of Ealing
- You no longer need help paying your rent or council tax.
- Moving home/rent changes
- Change of address within Ealing, including change of room or rooms
- Any changes in your tenancy, including increases or decreases in your rent, unless you are a local authority tenant.
- Temporary absence from home
- Any absence from your home for more than thirteen weeks where you, your partner or any other member of your household remain within Great Britain
- Any absence spent outside of Great Britain by you, your partner or any other member of your household for more than four weeks - outside of Great Britain includes Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands and anywhere else in the world
- Any absence from your home for more than four weeks where you, your partner or any other member of your household are in hospital.
- In some of the above situations your benefit will end if it is you that are absent for more than the stated times given above. This is not always the case if it is another member of your household that is absent.
Household member changes
- If your partner has joined or left your household.
- Someone moves in or out of your home.
- You have a new baby.
- A child leaves school or starts university.
- If you are a joint tenant you must tell us if anyone leaves or joins your joint tenant’s household.
Bank accounts, savings and investments
- If you or your partner have combined savings or assets over:
- £6,000 (for working-age people)
- £10,000 (for pensioners)
- If you receive Pension Savings Credit only report savings over £16,000.
- If you receive Guarantee Pension Credit you do not need to report changes in your savings.
Employment changes for any adult in your household
- Start or stop working.
- Increase or decrease in salary or number of hours worked.
How to report changes
All changes need to be reported online via My Account
Only changes relating to moving out of the borough or reporting a death will be accepted over the telephone. Please call 020 8825 7829.
If you are a landlord reporting suspected overpayments of housing benefit you must do so in writing to:
PO Box 32251
Ealing W5 5XA