If you need help paying rent or your council tax, we want to help. The amount we can give you depends on two things:
- how much rent and council tax you pay
- your circumstances, such as your pay and if you have children
Postcode check for help with rent
Universal credit is replacing housing benefit for most working age people.
Before you can claim housing benefit use the postcode checker to see if you should be claiming universal credit instead.
Claim universal credit now if you live in a universal credit area and do not fall into one of the exceptions below. If you do fall into an exception, you need to claim housing benefit.
Apply for housing benefit if any of the following apply to you:
- you are a pensioner
- you have more than two children who live with you
- you live in supported accommodation - you will need to claim universal credit for living costs and housing benefit for you housing costs
- you start living in temporary accommodation after 10 April 2018 - you will need to claim universal credit for living costs and housing benefit for you housing costs
- you do not live in a universal credit area
Help with council tax is not included in universal credit. You must apply for council tax support.
If you need help, apply now. You can lose out if you delay.
How to apply
So we can help you, do these three things:
- Click the 'apply now' button below
- Answer our questions online
- Upload photographs or scans of the documents we ask for (such as proof of address)
Read information about the council's policy on collecting data for online forms.