Information for landlords

How and when to claim

The tenant will need to complete an online claim form for housing benefit and council tax reduction.

If they are not able to complete the form straight away they can register their interest by starting the online claim form and selecting the 'save for later' option, but they must then complete the claim form within one month of starting it. Or they can register their intention to claim by telephoning the benefits service on 020 8825 7000.

When should a claim be made?

The claim should be made as soon as help is needed. Delays in making a claim may lead to a loss of benefit.  Your tenant needs to make a claim for the accommodation they occupy. If a tenant lives in a house of multiple occupation and moves from one room to another they need to advise us by telephone on 020 8825 7829 or in writing.

Verifying the claim

Our visiting officers may call at any time to check the details of the claim. The officers always carry identification with them, which the claimant is advised to check before allowing them into their homes. If they are unsure they should telephone our call centre on 020 8825 7000 to check. This part of our checking procedure is to ensure accuracy of payments we are making and to identify where fraudulent claims are being made.

The verification framework

As part of the government's fight against fraud we are committed to operating the verification framework. This means we will ask to see documentary evidence to verify most of the information entered on the application form. We will have to see evidence of the claimant’s identity, residency and income details. We will not be able to pay benefit without this.