The services for people with a visual impairment team (SVIP) work with people of all ages with a visual impairment who live in the borough, primarily those who are registered as blind or partially sighted. We also provide a service to people with a significant sight loss that meet the criteria for registration. SVIP also offers a service to those with a dual sensory loss (Deaf Blind). The team is made up of a senior practitioner, rehabilitation officers and assistants.
SVIP have excellent links with health and voluntary organisations, which complement our specialist services.
Services may include:
- full specialist visual impairment assessment
- training in orientation and mobility, daily living, communications and managing low vision
- specialist equipment to aid independence, which has been identified from an assessment
- group work
- emotional support
- welfare rights advice
- specialist education advice
- supported employment
- all aspects of registration
Like all sections of the council, we are committed to Ealing Council's policies. Maximizing independence and combating social isolation is the primary aim of SVIP and its staff.
If you have not been in contact with our team, you should telephone the social services customer contact centre on (020) 8825 8000, or visit one of the social services reception points.