Discretionary housing payments (DHP) and discretionary council tax discounts (DCTD) are not payments of housing benefit, council tax support or universal credit.
DHPs are separate payments made at the council's discretion in cases where it considers that extra help with housing costs are needed.
You must be entitled to housing benefit/universal credit (housing costs element) to receive a DHP. A DHP cannot be used to:
- Pay ineligible service charges
- Minimise the effect of Job Seeker Plus sanctions
- Make payment when housing benefit is suspended
- Help with council tax - there is a separate discretionary council tax discount to help with council tax liability.
A DCTD is a discount that is applied to your council tax account and reduces your council tax liability; this is made at the council's discretion in cases where it considers that extra help with council tax liability is needed.
- You may be eligible for a DCTD even if you are not in receipt of council tax support but you are experiencing financial hardship.
- A DCTD cannot be used to help with housing costs.
If you do not receive housing benefit or council tax support, you must provide proof of identity and income and your national insurance number.
How to send evidence
Evidence to support your DHP claim can be sent online or by post. The sooner you send the evidence the quicker we an help you.
You can send scanned documents or digital photos by attaching them by email to HBScanning@ealing.gov.uk
In the email 'subject' box please enter the text 'DHP application', followed by your national insurance number and the DHP claim reference.
Your uploaded files need to be clearly readable. If we cannot read your documents it will take longer to process your application.
If you are unable to upload evidence online you can post it to: Ealing Council, PO BOX 32251, London W5 5XA