Apply for housing benefit and council tax support

If you need help paying your rent, most people (other than pensioners and a few exempt groups) must apply for Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions. This has replaced housing benefit.

Claim Universal Credit now unless you fall into one of the exceptions below. Failure to claim Universal Credit may result in you losing benefit as Universal Credit is not usually backdated.

Housing benefit

Only claim housing benefit if one or more applies:

  • You are a pensioner – if you have a partner, from 15 May 2019 both of you must be of pension age – there are some exceptions.
  • You live in supported accommodation.
  • You live in temporary accommodation provided or arranged through the council.
  • You are entitled to a severe disability premium as part of any of the following benefits that you receive:
    • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
    • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
    • Income Support.

Apply now

Council tax

Help with council tax is not included in universal credit. You must apply to the council for council tax support.

If you need help, apply now. You can lose out if you delay.

Apply now

Read information about the council's policy on collecting data for online forms.