Disputing your housing benefit decision

Housing benefits disputes and appeals

When we have made a decision about your benefit, we will send you a notification letter which will show the information we have used to work out your benefit. You should check this letter carefully.

If you think the information used to work out your housing benefit is wrong, you may dispute it within one month of the date of the decision letter, in any of the following ways:

  • Ask us to explain our decision (Statement of Reasons)
    • You may ask for a written Statement of Reasons for the decision.
    • Once you have received your Statement of Reasons you can still ask us to look at the decision again or submit an appeal.
    • The one month you are allowed to make your request/submit an appeal will be extended by the time it has taken for us to provide you with the Statement of Reasons.
    • Ask for an explanation of a decision
  • Ask us to look at our decision again (Revision)
    • You may ask us to review a decision if you think it is wrong. You must tell us the date of the decision you do not agree with.
    • We will look at the decision again and then issue a notice, which will state the reasons for our decision, taking into consideration what you have told us.
    • After reconsidering the decision, we will advise you in writing whether the decision has been changed or if it will stay the same. If we uphold our original decision, you have a further month to request an appeal to the independent tribunal service.
    • Ask us to review a decision
  • Appeal the decision
    • You may appeal against a decision to an independent appeal tribunal, who can change the decision if they agree it is wrong.
    • We recommend you do this only after the decision has been reviewed.
    • If you have appealed and we stand by our original decision, we will send your appeal to HM Courts and Tribunal Service. The appeal will then be heard by an independent person who will consider both sides. You have the right to attend the hearing and take a representative with you if you want to, this could be someone from the Citizens Advice Bureau, an advice agency or a solicitor.
    • Appeal against a decision