Private rented property licensing

Selective licensing

Selective licensing applies to privately rented properties that are not HMOs and are in the designated areas.  

To check whether any property licensing schemes apply to a property please use the property licensing postcode checker or property licensing map checker

You need a selective licence for all privately rented properties in the following areas (pre May 2022 ward boundaries):

  • Acton Central 
  • Dormers Wells
  • East Acton
  • Greenford Broadway 
  • Greenford Green    
  • Hanger Hill
  • Hobbayne 
  • Lady Margaret 
  • North Greenford
  • Northolt Mandeville 
  • Northolt West End
  • Perivale
  • South Acton
  • Southall Broadway 
  • Southall Green.

We have published answers to over a hundred frequently asked questions about selective licensing.

There is also a video on how to make a property licensing application to the council.