Private rented property licensing

Private rented property licensing schemes have been introduced in order to improve property conditions and management standards in the borough's private rented sector.

This means that if you own or manage a private rented property within designated parts of the borough it is a legal requirement to obtain a property licence. Licences come with conditions that relate to the use and management of the property.

Following a public consultation in 2021 on the introduction of new additional HMO and selective licensing schemes,  Cabinet agreed the proposals on 8 December 2021. The new schemes came into force on 1 April 2022.

Further information about private property licensing, how to apply, fees and discounts available can be found on the following pages.