Private rented property licensing

Private rented property licensing schemes have been introduced in order to improve property conditions and management standards in the borough's private rented sector.

This means that if you own or manage a private rented property within designated parts of the borough it is a legal requirement to get a property licence. Licences come with conditions that relate to the use and management of the property.

You can check which licensing schemes apply to a property using the property licensing postcode checker or property licensing map checker

You can check our property licence register to see whether a specific property has been granted a licence. The register will not show properties where a licence application has been made but not yet determined.

Houses in multiple occupation licensing

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least three people who are not from one ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.

Any private rented HMO in the borough must have a property licence. A HMO rented to five or more people need a 'Mandatory' HMO licence. HMOs rented to three or four people require an 'Additional' HMO licence.

For more information see our HMO property licensing webpages.

HMOs rented to two people need a 'Selective' licence (see below).

Selective licensing

Selective licensing only applies in some areas of the borough. Visit our selective licensing webpage for more information.

Licensing area designations

The statutory notices for our licensing scheme designations and the areas they cover: