Carers assessments

Carers assessments are carried out by the council to work out how best to provide services to you and the person in your care. This is an opportunity for you to describe your role as a carer and what would make caring easier for you.

If you care for a disabled child, your needs will be considered as part of an assessment of the needs of your child and family.

If you care for an adult, you can have a carers assessment to discuss the help you need, even if the person you care for refuses help or an assessment.

If you are a carer under the age of 18, or there is a carer under 18 in your family, staff from the children and families department of social services will usually be the best people to carry out an assessment of your needs. Carers under 18 are now entitled to have services provided for them.