Parking suspension

Parking bay suspensions

A parking suspension allows you to reserve a parking space if you need it for access or to park. They are usually used by builders, contractors, removal workers, utility or film companies. It is illegal to place bins or cones on the road to reserve parking. 

Suspended bays have a yellow warning notice on the nearest post. The suspension is active in resident parking places 24 hours a day, seven days a week and not only during controlled parking hours. 

We always try to suspend the most convenient bay. We only suspend disabled, doctor, car club or diplomat bays if there is no other choice.


Applications made at least:

  • Seven working days before the suspension starts - £30 per bay, per day
  • Three working days before the suspension starts - £40 per bay, per day. 

A parking bay is five metres long. 

Cancellations or changes

If you want to cancel or change a suspension, you must let us know at least two working days before the suspension starts. If you do not let us know within this time, we will not be able to refund you. There is a £25 administration fee on all refunds. Please email to cancel.

We do not refund any suspensions which have been correctly signposted, and the suspended bays were blocked by other vehicles, skips, or something else.

How to apply

You need to apply at least three working days before the date you want the suspension to start. 

Apply for a parking suspension    

Illegal parking in a suspended bay

We cannot guarantee that people will not park illegally in a suspended bay. If they do, they will be issued with a penalty charge notice (PCN).

If a vehicle is parked in your suspended bay, you can report it online

Report illegal parking   

You can also report it by phoning 020 8825 6677, and choose option 1 (Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm). Outside these hourstimes, please call 020 8825 5000. You will be able to leave a message to ask for enforcement.  

Please note that you would also be able to report a vehicle parked in your suspended bay and give details of the vehicle and suspension reference number. We will send a civil enforcement officer (CEO) to issue a penalty charge notice to the vehicle and it may be removed.