Welfare benefits

Low income benefits

If you need help with your living expenses or housing costs you may be able to claim the following.

Income support

Income support is extra money for those on a low income or none at all, who are working less than 16 hours a week and haven’t signed on as unemployed.  For more information visit GOV.UK.

Housing benefit

Housing benefit helps people on a low income to pay their rent.

Council tax reduction

Council tax reduction (previously called council tax support) is a discount that helps people on low income pay their council tax.

Working tax credit

You can claim this if you are in paid work with low earnings and you may get a higher amount if you have children or a disability. For more information visit GOV.UK.  

Child tax credit

You can claim this if you are in or out of work and have children. For further information visit GOV.UK.  

Pension credit

Pension credit is an entitlement for people aged 60 or over living in Great Britain. More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.

NHS costs

If you have a low income you might be entitled to get help with health costs including prescriptions, dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs. More information is provided on the NHS website

The Family Fund

The Family Fund gives grants to lower income families with severely disabled children for things that make life easier and more enjoyable. More information can be found on the Family Fund website.

Local welfare assistance

Local welfare assistance is an emergency financial payment and has replaced Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans (since 1 April 2013). The fund is there to help people to try to maintain an independent life or for those facing an immediate financial crisis.