What we will do?
- check that the private foster carer’s home is safe and that all members of the household are suitable to care for the child
- help the carer to work together with the child's parents for the benefit of the child
- offer support and advice about looking after someone else's child and how to meet the child's day to day needs
- where needed provide advice on claiming welfare benefits
- offer support with finding a school place and registering with a GP/medical practice
- offer parenting support and advice as well as access to training courses provided for approved foster carers
- offer access to support groups for private foster carers and children if this will be helpful.
We don't want to interfere in what is working well. Our aim is to provide support and advice to ensure that the arrangement works as smoothly as possible.