Street trading

Pavement licence

A business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption on the premises can apply for a pavement licence. Eligible businesses include public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops and ice cream parlours.

A pavement licence permits the business to use furniture placed on the highway to sell or serve food or drink and/or to allow the space to be used by people for the consumption of food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of the premises.

The furniture which may be used:

  • Counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • Tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • Chairs, benches, or other forms of seating
  • Barriers to delineate between the licensed area and the section of the pavement that is for the use of the public.

This furniture is required to be removable (not a permanent fixed structure) and is able to be moved easily and stored away off the highways of an evening.


Any application must be subject to consultation with the community as well as relevant council departments (e.g. highways department).

The consultation period is five working days (excluding public holidays).

Applications will be accepted for a tables and chairs display on land that is not adjacent to the business as well. In these cases, the internal consultation process will be longer.


This is a temporary measure and will remain in place until the end of September 2023.

How to apply

  1. You must meet the requirements set out in our pavement licence policy. 
  2. Read the terms and conditions which covers all pavement licences.
  3. Once you have checked the requirements, complete the pavement licence application form.
  4. For the application to be accepted you will need to pay the £100 application fee. This fee is not refundable if your application is rejected.
  5. Email the completed application form with all supporting documentation to with confirmation of application payments.