Apply for a sole adult discount

If only one adult lives in the property as their main home, the bill may be reduced by 25%.

Before you start

Someone who normally lives in a property but moves away temporarily (for example because of work, or travelling, or family circumstances) may still be seen to have their main home in the property, unless they become responsible for council tax at another address.

Some people are not included (disregarded) when we count the number of adults living in a property. This means a property where one of two adult residents do not count, will still get 25% off the bill.

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We check and review all claims for a discount.

We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days.

If your circumstances change, please contact us.

Start form