For council tax discount purposes, some people are disregarded when we assess the number of adults living in a property. This means that the bill for a property where one of the two adult residents is disregarded will be the same as that for a property with one adult resident (bill reduced by 25% discount). If however there are three or more adult residents and only one is disregarded, there will be no entitlement to discount because there will still be two adults counted.
If a disregarded person lives alone, then only the property element of the bill is payable (50%).
The following categories of people are disregarded when we count the number of adults living in a property:
- full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and people on youth training schemes
- patients living in hospital long term
- patients in nursing homes, mental nursing homes, residential care homes, hospices and hostels providing a high level of care
- people who are severely mentally impaired and are entitled to certain state benefits
- people in prison or on remand and people kept in hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters (who would otherwise have no home at all)
- school leavers under 20 years who have left school between 30 April and 1 November of the year in question
- some husbands, wives or dependants of students who are not British citizens and who are not allowed by the Home Office to take a job or claim benefits
- 18 to 19 year olds for whom child benefit is paid
- care workers, working on low pay usually for a charity or local authority
- people who care for someone with a disability who is not their partner or a child under 18 years, if the person receiving care is entitled to certain state benefits
- a person who is a member of an organisation listed under the International Headquarters and Defence Organisations Act 1964, and his/her dependents
- people who are members of visiting force as set out in the Visiting Forces Act 1952
- members of religious communities who receive no income
- people with diplomatic immunity
How to apply
If you think you may qualify for a discount, email your name, address and council tax account number to council tax. Please state the full name of the adult and the category of disregarded person you believe applies to them.