Ealing Children's Integrated Response Service (ECIRS) acts as a single front door for all enquiries and referrals into Ealing children’s services from professionals/practitioners and the public, where there are concerns about the welfare or safety of a child or young person (pre-birth to 18 years).
If at any time you become concerned that a child has been harmed or is at risk of harm – call ECIRS immediately on 020 8825 8000 (24 hours for emergency calls). If a child is in immediate danger call the Police on 999.
How to make a referral
Referrals can be made by telephone on 020 8825 8000, email ECIRS@ealing.gov.uk or in writing to:
Ealing Children's Integrated Response Service
2nd Floor blue area
14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL
When an individual first calls ECIRS they will speak to a business support officer who will get an overview of the enquiry. In the case of a safeguarding referral, the caller will be able to speak to a social worker who will note the concerns and advise on the next steps.
The referrer will be asked to provide as much information as possible such as:
- Child's basic details (name, address, date of birth, ethnicity, etc)
- Details of siblings if known (name, gender and age)
- Details of parents and/or other adults in the household who may have parental responsibility for the child
- If anyone has spoken to the child and what they said (with timelines and context where possible)
- A summary of the contact your agency has had with the child (professional referrers)
- An overview of the child/family's Early Help Assessment and Plan (EHAP) if one exists (professional referrers).
Referrers will be asked whether they have parental consent to share information. In most cases consent is needed before ECIRS can take action, however consent to share information is not required for safeguarding referrals where obtaining consent could:
- cause a risk of further harm
- compromise a criminal investigatio
- cause undue delay in taking action to protect a child/young person.
If a professional/practitioner is unsure about whether to refer to ECIRS they can contact the ECIRS Consultation Line. This is a ‘no name’ advice line available to professionals unclear about the appropriateness of a referral. The Consultation Line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The contact number is 020 8825 5236.
NB. If it is considered the child has suffered or is likely to suffer significant harm, you will be advised to make an immediate referral to ECIRS.
Where you consider a multi-agency or targeted approach is needed, the Early Help Assessment and Plan (EHAP) process may be appropriate. Contact Ealing Family Information Service for more information. Telephone:020 8825 5588.
Where it is clear a referral to children’s social care is needed, contact ECIRS on 020 8825 8000. If a child is in immediate danger call the Police on 999.
Professionals/practitioners referring by telephone will be asked to confirm their referral in writing within 48 hours of the telephone call.