Animal welfare

Barking dogs

The term noise nuisance in law is noise, which unreasonably interferes with the enjoyment of somebody's premises, for example if you are unable to sleep at night, or cannot hear your television over the unwanted noise.

What to do

  • First, approach the person responsible - they may not be aware of the problem.
  • Write to the person responsible politely asking them to reduce the noise - keep a copy of the letter.
  • Keep a diary of disturbance for about three weeks to show any patterns to the problem.
  • If the problem persists, please contact us.

Note: only approach your neighbour(s) if it appears safe to do so.

If none of these methods works, please report a noise nuisance