Food export health certificate

Apply for a food export health certificate

Health certificates are issued to food businesses who wish to export foodstuff outside the EU. They are provided to help local exporters meet the food safety requirements. We need to check that your business is registered with us and that we are satisfied with the food hygiene standards at your premises before issuing the certificate.

How to apply

For an application to be valid, complete all sections of the request form correctly and make a payment of £97. You will also need to send your packing list and invoice. We accept payment via cash, cheque (made payable to the London Borough of Ealing) or card over the phone. 

Complete the food export health certificate request form

Please return forms to: Food safety, Regulatory services, 4th floor, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL

You can also email forms to

To pay or make an enquiry, telephone 020 8825 6666. 

It is your responsibility to obtain the required wording for the certificate, which can vary between countries. You may need to contact the embassy for the relevant country if your customer cannot supply this information.

Additional information for applicants 

  • We will always try to incorporate the wording indicated on your form, but we cannot include wording that implies that we vouch for the safety of any individual consignment of food. Wording will normally reflect the fact that your foodstuffs are produced and stored in premises subject to our jurisdiction as a food authority, and which have been subject to a satisfactory inspection programme.
  • We reserve the right to decline to issue a certificate if we are dissatisfied with hygiene standards and practices conducted on your premises.
  • We cannot certify an individual manufacturing process, but you can provide additional supporting material such as HACCP documentation and test certificates to assist the application process.
  • If you have not received a food hygiene inspection within the requisite due deemed date (according to our database) then an inspection will have to be arranged as a matter of urgency in order that we can issue a certificate. We make every effort to conduct our inspections according to due date.
  • The application and consultation process will generally take up to five working days. You will receive your certificate through the post unless you ask to collect it from the council.

If you have any difficulties with the documentary requirements of importing countries,  contact the Food Standards Agency for assistance