Guidance notes for disabled bay application
A disabled parking bay is a space marked on the public highway indicating that it is for the use of blue badge holders only.
They are clearly marked as individual bays with 'disabled' painted on the road alongside the bay.
Application criteria for a disabled bay
- Applicants must have a blue badge
- The applicant must be the driver of the vehicle registered at the address and provide full vehicle details
- An occupational therapist must certify there is an exceptional need for a disables parking bay
- The applicant has severe difficulty in walking a distance of 50 metres or less.
- The applicant does not have off-street parking facility.
- The applicant should live in a road owned by Ealing Council
Disabled bay application process
- You will receive the acknowledgement of your application within five working days.
- You will be notified of the result of your application within 10 weeks.
- Assuming the application is successful, the lines will be marked out within four to six weeks and you can begin using the space (although it is not enforceable).
- Once a disabled bay has been marked out, highways management will request that a traffic management order is created to enable enforcement against any vehicle not displaying a disabled badge.
- Until the traffic management order is drafted, advertised and approved the disabled bay is non-enforceable. The signs will be installed within two to three months, after the traffic order has been approved.
Disabled bay renewal
All disabled bays are reviewed every three years. A letter and application form will be posted to the disabled bay holder requesting confirmation on whether the bay is still required for medical reasons.
Once the application is returned it will be approved or rejected by a senior officer. The bay holder will be informed of the outcome.
Removing a disabled bay
If you wish to apply for the removal of a disabled bay, please do so in writing to Ealing Council, Customer Services (DPB), 1SW Perceval House, Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL. Please attach any supporting documents and reasons (ie death certificate, badge holder moved away).