Apply for a council tax band reduction for physically disabled people

Apply for a reduction in council tax if a person with a disability lives in your property and it has certain features (such as an extra bathroom or kitchen, or space for using a wheelchair) for the disabled person.

Before you start

You may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you pay if a person living in your property has a disability.

You will have to show you have either:

  • An extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
  • Extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair.

The extra room does not need to be custom built, it can be an existing room used for the disabled person.

You will need

You may want to upload documents that support your claim. This could include a letter from an occupational therapist, social worker, doctor or similarly qualified person.

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We will visit the property to help us decide if you qualify for a discount. During the visit we will ask a few questions about the nature of the disability and take photographs for our records.

If you qualify, the amount of your bill will be reduced by one band. The means if your property is in band E, you will pay the council tax amount due for a property in band D. This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list.

Please check My Account for updates.

Start form