Apply for an annexe discount

You can get a 50% reduction in council tax if the annexe is used by the occupier of the main house or lived in by a relative.

You may be able to get a further 25% discount for a sole occupier, for example, if your adult son is living in the annexe on his own.

Before you start

Apply if:

  • You are the person who pays council tax for the main property.

The list of qualifying relatives:

  • Spouse, civil partner, parent, child, stepchild, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle or aunt, nephew or niece, great grandparent, great-grandchild, great-uncle, great-aunt, great-niece, great-great grandparent, great-great-grandchild, great-great uncle, great-great aunt, great-great nephew or great-great niece
  • Relationships by marriage or civil partnership (i.e. in-laws)
  • Relationships between people living together as spouses.

Note: Cousins do not qualify for an annexe discount.

If an annexe is occupied by a relative who is over 65, severely mentally impaired, or permanently disabled, you may get an annexe exemption.

You will need

  • Council tax account number
  • Evidence showing annexe is used as part of the main home (or state details in application).

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We may need to visit the property before we give the exemption. We will contact you to make an appointment.

We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My Account for updates.

This form should take approximately four minutes to complete.

Start form