Keeping active helps you to be happy and healthy. People who stay physically active have:
- As much as a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- A possible 20% lower risk of breast cancer
- A 30% lower risks of falls (among older adults)
- Up to a 30% lower risk of depression and also dementia
The recommended levels of physical activity are:
- Children need at least 60 minutes of moderate or vigorous activity a day for good health. On three days a week these activities should involve exercises for strong muscles, such as jumping and running
- Adults should aim for 150 minutes (two and a half hours) of moderate aerobic activity each week, such as cycling or fast walking.
More ways to get active
- Change4life has great tips and advice for you and your family to get more active.
- NHS choices has some great information and podcasts.