Personal licence

Licence summary

A personal licence is needed by anyone intending to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels but not including private members clubs. A personal licence is valid for ten years, unless surrendered, revoked or suspended and the holder is authorised to sell alcohol anywhere in the country at premises that have a valid premises licence.

Eligibility criteria

An applicant for a licence must apply to the council where they live. To be eligible for a personal licence you must fulfil the following criteria:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • not have forfeited a personal licence in the last five years
  • not been convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence 
  • possess an accredited qualification

Regulation summary

View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence on the GOV.UK website. 

Application evaluation process

Applications must be submitted on the prescribed form with the disclosure of convictions declaration and be accompanied by the following:

  • your licensing qualification
  • two colour passport photographs, one signed on the back by a professional
  • recent criminal records bureau check, not more than one month old
  • fee for the licence (£37), cheque made payable to Ealing Council
  • copy of identification (for example passport, resident permit)

Personal licence renewals

The Government is aiming to remove the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 10 years, through the Deregulation Bill, which is currently before Parliament. The first personal licences were granted in early 2005. However, the Bill in unlikely to receive Royal Assent before the tenth anniversary of the date on which the first personal licences were granted. The Government has introduced special arrangements for those Personal Licence Holders whose licences are due for renewal before the Deregulation Bill takes effect.

Personal licence holders will have to submit a completed application form to the relevant licensing authority that has issued their licence no later than one month before the licence expires otherwise it will lapse. The applicant will also have to enclose their licence or a copy.

Please be aware that if your licence has lapsed and you need it for your employment, you will have no option but to re-apply from scratch.

Applicants will not have to enclose an application fee, photographs, a criminal convictions certificate, criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the Police National Computer.

To ensure that applicants have certainty that their forms have been received, licensing authorities will acknowledge receipt of the application, you should keep this with you to show that you have complied with the renewal procedure. 

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted, therefore tacit consent does not apply. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply by post

Both the application form and disclosure form must be submitted for the application to be complete:

Applications must be sent to:
Licensing team, Regulatory services, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL

A holder of a personal licence must notify their council of any change in their name or address or if their licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. A new licence will then be issued and a fee of £10.50 is payable

Failed application redress

If an application for a licence is refused, the failed applicant can appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days of the decision.

Consumer redress

Any complaints should be made to
Licensing team
Regulatory services
Perceval House
14-16 Uxbridge Road
Ealing W5 2HL
Telephone: 020 8825 6655

Trade associations

For more advice and information please contact us.