Explosives and fireworks

Business licences

If you have a licence to store and sell fireworks, you may have received a reminder from the council's licensing processing team to renew it. If you are applying for a licence for the first time, we will inspect your premises in advance of a licence being issued. We advise early application to ensure the timely issue of a licence. It can take up to 10 working days to process.

If you have applied for a storage licence and it has been granted, then you can supply fireworks during the following time periods:

  • from 15 October to 10 November
  • from 26 to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding this
  • on the first day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding this

If you wish to supply fireworks outside of these periods, you will need to apply for an all-year licence.

To apply for a licence to store more than five kg and less than 250kg net explosive content (NEC) of adult fireworks, you must complete an online application form below, accompanied by a site or floor plan and the correct fee.

Enforcement officers will determine the maximum limit for the licence based upon how much a premise is able to safely store. If a business is found storing more than the licensed amount, this forms an offence; as does storing and selling without a licence which can lead to seizure of the fireworks and potential prosecution. Further offences are associated with the sale of fireworks to underage minors.

For a business to operate safely and in compliance, they should consider putting appropriate measures in place, such as: 

  • the fireworks will be stored safely
  • capacity held is not in excess of the amount authorised by licence
  • no banned fireworks are being sold
  • age verification checks are in place and refusals logs made
  • the seller may want to operate a challenge 21 or challenge 25 policy
  • staff are properly trained
  • signage displayed to show age limit for purchases

Our enforcement officers have the power to carry out unannounced inspections at premises and take appropriate actions where breaches are identified. They may also conduct test purchases of fireworks using underage volunteers. We would advise the borough's businesses to store and sell with due regard to the law.

Guidance for businesses

Storing and selling fireworks safely - INDG407 (hse.gov.uk) - contains a summary of the main legal requirements pertaining to storage and supply

Fireworks in shops: retailers’ risk assessment checklist (hse.gov.uk)

Application forms

Please print  the appropriate form, complete it in full, and return it to the following:
Licensing team, regulatory services, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL
Telephone: 020 8825 6655
Email: licensing@ealing.gov.uk

Information for residents to safely use fireworks

Staying safe with fireworks poster (gov.uk)

Firework Safety video