Auction premises registration

To sell goods by competitive bidding in England and Wales you may need to register the premises in which you auction with the council.

If there is an auction run on your premises (whether by yourself or anyone else) without a licence having been issued, you could be in danger of prosecution for running an illegal auction. Please contact us for advice if you are considering running an auction.

Eligibility criteria
The council may refuse to register certain premises if they are considered unsuitable for conducting the sale of goods by competitive bidding or the applicant/occupier is considered unsuitable. See the conditions .

Regulation summary
View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence on Greater London Council (general Powers) act 1984 Part VI

Exempt from registration are:

  • any sales where no substantial part of the sale of goods are brought on the premises; and
  • any sales wholly for the purpose of assisting the funds of a voluntary organisation

There is a one-off charge of £300 for licensing an auction premises.

What happens if your application is not processed by the council within the timescales stated? 
Tacit consent applies, which means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council within 28 days of the application received.

Apply online at Business Link
Application for registration of premises for the sale of goods by auction

Apply by post
To make an application contact the council's licensing team who registers temporary and competitive bidding sales.  

Licence holder redress
Please contact the licensing team in the first instance.

If you wish to appeal against a decision you may appeal to the Local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the notice of the decision.



Consumer complaint  We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer rights (GOV.UK) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.



Trade associations
Livestock Auctioneers' Association (LAA)
National Association of Valuers and Auctioneers (NAVA)
Society of Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers (SOFAA)

For more advice and information please contact us.