North Acton is changing fast. Recently finished schemes have created new accommodation for students and new homes for residents. There are also plans coming up that will increase the number of people living and working in the area.
However, the location of the tube station is not satisfactory as it’s hidden behind existing buildings. The area also lacks a centre, a focal point that brings the new developments together and creates a sense of identity. The small paths to the tube station also means residents and workers have to walk down narrow pathways hidden from view, which we know they do not feel safe using at night and quiet times. Ealing Council has been working on a solution to these problems by developing proposals for a new station square to act as a safer entrance to the station and also to create a centre for the community.
The new space is currently being constructed where the former Esso petrol station was located and it is funded by the developers who have already built schemes in the area.
Objectives for the square
The public square at North Acton Station has been designed to address a range of local needs. These include:
- raising the profile and visibility of North Acton Station in the local area
- providing a high quality well designed space to act as a focal point for the area
- providing improved access from the street to the station building that meets current standards for accessibility
- creating green space through trees and planting, which can soften the physical environment in the immediate area
- providing a place that feels much safer for people using the station, especially at night by creating clear views for people leaving and entering the station
How the design delivers those objectives
We have designed a new space that will provide improved access to the front of the station. To keep it safe and make it place that people use we have included several important features.
- A ramp and steps down from Victoria Road will mean a safer entrance and people will be able to see the entire route ahead of them day or night. It will include full disabled access to the front of the station.
- The area will include tree planting and garden beds to soften the space and create a sense of greenery.
- It will be lit at night to provide a safe environment
- Space for events and activities to take place such as markets or outdoor film screenings, to ensure its a place that people can use and enjoy
If you have any questions or comments on the project then please email email@example.com .