Street signs

Report a street sign problem

To report a street sign problem please telephone 020 8825 6000.

Applications for street signs: 

The council deals with applications for local directional street signs. Signs are provided on a permanent and temporary basis.

A £50 non-refundable administration fee is applicable to all sign applications. The administration fee can be paid by cheque and should be made payable to 'London Borough of Ealing'.

Permanent signs

Permanent signs are provided to churches, local heritage sites, trading estates, government offices, libraries or similar public buildings subject to approval by the council. These locations must be regularly open to and frequently visited by the public to be eligible. Applications will only be granted if a site is not visible from a main route or is deemed to be difficult to get to without a sign.

An estimate will be provided by the council for the design, supply and erection of the sign(s) prior to installation. The cost will vary depending upon the scale of work.

Application for permanent signs should be made in writing and sent to: Engineering services, Perceval House, L1, 14–16 Uxbridge Rd, Ealing W5 2HL

Temporary signs

Temporary signs will be provided, subject to approval, for special events such as fairs, church events, universities, colleges, sports venues, leisure centres and new housing developments. Approvals for signs are subject to conditions (available on request). All temporary sign applications are to be made through the AA, RAC or a similar motoring association.

Sign removal

The council reserves the right to remove signs that are:

  • unsafe/unacceptable due to wear and tear
  • damaged through vandalism or general deterioration
  • no longer applicable because the attraction or facility is closed
  • failing to meet the standards under which the signs were initially provided