Dropped kerbs

How to get a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb, also known as a crossover, enables a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

It is an offence to cross the public footway without a legally constructed footway crossing.

Changing your garden to a parking area

There are certain standards that need to be met before you change your garden/front of house into a parking area and obtain a crossover. Council tenants will need to obtain permission from their housing office.

To obtain a crossover the front garden must be:

  • 4.2m in depth or
  • 3.8m if the frontage of your property is over 6.5m wide or
  • 4.8m in depth if planning consent is required

The width of a standard crossover is 2.4m.  Wider crossovers can be constructed if shared with a neighbouring property.

Obtaining planning consent

Planning consent is generally required:

  • for crossovers on main roads
  • if the property is within a conservation area (subject to Article 4 direction, further information can be found in the guidance notes, attached)
  • where property is divided into flats for multiple occupancy
  • when a boundary wall over 1m high (in a conservation area) is demolished


The cost of constructing an average crossover is £1,500. This cost depends on the size of the crossover and if there are any pavement obstructions ie a tree, lighting column that may have to be removed.

Applying for a crossover

Please download the dropped kerb application pack, read the guidance carefully then complete the application form. Return with a £75 non-refundable cheque made payable to Ealing Council to:

Highway Services, Ealing Council, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL
Tel: (020) 8825 8369

Processing your application

As part of your application a site visit will be conducted to make environmental observations and take site measurements. This information will be used to assess your application.

Ealing Council reserves the right to refuse a crossing application if necessary.

An estimate will be sent to you that will specify the charges for the work and any alterations that need to be made.

On receipt of full payment the works will be booked with the council's contractor. The work takes approximately six weeks once full payment of the cheque has cleared. If any alterations need to be made to public utilities completion may take longer.