Apply for a dropped kerb
If you want to park your vehicle in your front garden, you need to have a dropped kerb. Use this form to apply for a new dropped kerb or to extend a dropped kerb that is shared with a neighbour.
Before you start
If you are not the property owner, please make sure you have the owner’s written permission and include this with your application.
Your front garden must be at least 4.2 metres deep and 2.4 metres wide. If wider than 6.5 metres, the depth only needs to be 3.8 metres.
You will need planning permission before applying, if:
- On a main road (classified road: A or B road)
- On a Transport for London road (eg A40, North Circular)
- In a conservation area or under Article 4 directions.
You are not able to get a dropped kerb if you have a grass verge in front of your property that is more than three metres wide. If less than three metres, we will use plastic mesh, instead of tarmac or paving.
Please read the dropped kerb application pack before applying. This will help you understand what you need to do, to make a successful application.
You will need
- Dimensions of your front garden, shown on a clear drawing. The drawing should show where you want the dropped kerb to be and any trees, road signs, manhole covers, on-street parking bays
- Photo of the front of the property
- Make a note of anything in the way eg lamp posts, manhole, tree
- Planning reference number (if needed)
- Property owner’s written consent (if needed)
- Credit or debit card to pay the £75 non-refundable application fee.
Uploading supporting documents
You will be asked to upload some documents; Property owner’s consent (if needed), drawings and photographs.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files can't be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB.
What happens next
We will ask an inspector to visit, to check things like the size of your front garden. We aim to give you an answer within six weeks.
If approved, we will let you know how much it will cost. You will then be asked to get your driveway ready and send photos once the work has been done.
Once we are happy your front garden is ready for parking, we will arrange for the dropped kerb to be constructed within eight weeks.
This form should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.