Please see Pitzhanger Manor House & Gallery's website for further details about Walpole Park.
Where is it?
Walpole Park is located at the edge of Ealing Broadway behind Pitzhanger Manor House. The principal roads surrounding the parks are Culmington Road, Mattock Lane, Ealing Green Street, Windermere Road, Lammas Park Gardens, and Disraeli Road.
On foot: Less than five minutes walk from the Uxbridge Road, a major east-west route, which runs through Ealing town centre.
Bus: Many buses converge in Ealing town centre from all directions. Major routes include 65 from the south (Richmond), 207, 427, 607 east-west routes (from Shepherd’s Bush towards Uxbridge), 83 from the north (Golders Green).
Tube: Ealing Broadway (Central and District lines), the site can also be accessed from Northfields and South Ealing tube stations (Piccadilly Line).
Train: Ealing Broadway - overland train routes from Paddington to Reading.
Parking: No dedicated car parking but there is meter parking on Mattock Lane adjacent to the park and non-resident parking on Culmington Road (controlled parking zone restrictions apply).
- Pitzhanger Manor House and Gallery
- Spencer's Café
- Two ponds
- An adult fitness area - will be completed in the near future
About the park
Walpole Park is one of the most important parks in the borough and provides the main recreational space for the area.
The park is a significant, much-used formal park in the heart of the borough and is the site of Ealing Summer Festival.
It forms part of a larger network of green spaces that provide essential respite from the pressures of urban living whether it is for recreation, an alternative ‘rural’ pedestrian route or a location for alfresco lunches for office workers.
It is the focus of active recreation containing a small café and children’s playground and provides space for quiet contemplation and relaxation.
Ealing Council is in the process of restoring Walpole Park to its former Regency glory through a Heritage Lottery Funded project.
Brief history of site
The park was once part of the estate grounds of a house now known as Pitzhanger Manor, which stands on the northeast side of the park.
In 1800 ‘Pitzhanger Manor-house, and about 28 acres of land was sold to the famed architect John Soane (1753-1837) for the sum of £4,500. Sir John Soane, architect of the Dulwich Picture Gallery and the Bank of England, redesigned Pitzhanger Manor as his ‘ country’ residence.
The immediate setting of the house remained largely rural until the mid 19th century with both the Rocque Map of 1746 and the later map of Ealing of 1828 showing the house set amongst a series of detached villas lining Ealing Green but with comparatively little other development elsewhere.
The existing cedar trees on the west lawn date back to the 18th century. Half way across the park a long rectangular fishpond was constructed, corresponding with an old field boundary and it may therefore have been from an earlier drainage ditch. The grounds were opened as a municipal park in May 1901.
Walpole Park, being a formal park largely consisting of mown grass and large trees, is not of major significance for wildlife. The park’s boundary is, however, well edged with a diversity of plants, offering habitat opportunities for bird and mammal species.
Walpole Friends: A new park friends group has been set up who will take an active part in arranging events and activities. The group needs people who are willing to contribute their time and effort. If you would like to get involved please email: email@example.com