Child performance licences
COVID-19 Virus: Please refer to updated government guidelines on COVID-19 before proceeding with an application for a child performance licence or activity. Safety of children and prevention of the spread of this virus is paramount. If in doubt please postpone the performance or activity.
A child performance licence is required if a child who is not over compulsory school age is due to participate in:
- TV, filming, theatrical performance (including rehearsals), sporting activities or modelling for which a payment is made.
A licence is not required if no payment is made in respect of the performance (apart from reimbursing expenses) and one of the following circumstances applies:
- The child has not taken part in performances in the previous six months on more than three days.
- The performance is arranged by a school or by a body approved for the purpose by the Secretary of State or local education authority (eg scout gang shows).
Note: Even if a licence is not required, there are still restrictions on the number of hours a child may participate in the performance and it should not involve any school absence.
If the activity is paid, a performance licence will be required regardless of whether the child will need to be absent from school for the performance.
- An online application form completed by the parent and agents or producers
- One passport sized photograph taken within the last six months in one of the following formats: .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .png or .gif
- Medical letter - from child's general practitioner (GP), if applicable
- Birth certificate or satisfactory evidence of child's age
- Copy of rehearsal/performance schedule
- Letter of permission from school authorising school absence for either rehearsals or performance
- Child protection and safeguarding policy from the applicant
- Risk assessment, if applicable
- Contract or draft contract
Notice required to issue a licence
By law, the time limit for licensing authorities is 21 days before the first performance or activity. However in order to support children in accessing opportunities for performance, we aim to issue a licence on a 10 working days arrangement, as long as all documents are filled in correctly.
The council reserves, at its absolute discretion, the right to refuse application requests which do not allow sufficient time to be assessed.
Fax/email copies will not be accepted. Please note we do not issue six-month open licences.
Performance licence application for parents
Performance licence application for applicants
For more information, please contact:
Telephone: 020 8825 6167
Address: Ealing Council, child performance licences, 3/SE/2, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL