The Household Support Fund, provided by the Department for Work and Pensions, gives those who qualify, help towards food and essential items.
As well as the groups that have been supported previously, the council will extend the support being offered. All payments up to March 2024 have now been agreed and are outlined below.
Unless stated, payments will be made using supermarket vouchers provided by our partners Blackhawk.
If you are eligible, you do not need to apply for the vouchers. Eligible families will receive either an email or letter from Blackhawk with a 16-digit, personalised code and instructions to redeem the vouchers via the Blackhawk website: ealingcouncil.select-your-reward.co.uk. Be assured, this is a safe website and Blackhawk are a trusted partner of Ealing Council.
Families eligible for benefits related free school meals, based on low income, will get supermarket vouchers:
- May 2023 - £15 per child
- July 2023 - £90 per child
- October 2023 - £15 per child
- December 2023 - £40 per child
- February 2024 - £15 per child
- March 2024 - £30 per child
Families with children under the age of five, who get housing benefit and/or council tax reduction:
- May 2023 - £15 per household
- July 2023 - £90 per household
- October 2023 - £15 per household
- December 2023 - £40 per household
- February 2024 - £15 per household
- March 2024 - £30 per household
Ealing care leavers will get supermarket vouchers:
- May 2023 - £50 per care leaver
- July 2023 - £50 per care leaver
- October 2023 - £50 per care leaver
- December 2023 - £50 per care leaver
- February 2024 - £50 per care leaver
- March 2024 - £50 per care leaver
New households receiving automatic support
Households on housing benefit or council tax support but not on DWP benefits will receive supermarket vouchers:
- October 2023 - £175 per household
- February 2024 - £175 per household
Households in non residential care where council contributes to care costs. These vouchers will be issued via The Post Office and all eligible individuals will receive a letter explaining how to claim their money:
- October 2023 - £100 per household
- February 2024 - £100 per household
Extra local welfare assistance funding has been made available for households who do not fit into any of the three groups listed above. You will need to apply for this help. If you are facing financial hardship, apply for local welfare assistance.
Local welfare assistance is a discretionary support scheme. The fund is there to help people to try to maintain an independent life or for those facing an immediate financial crisis.
The Department of Work and Pensions has also provided Ealing Council with additional funding under its Household Support Fund to support households who would otherwise struggle to buy food or pay for essential utility bills or meet other essential living costs.
This additional funding has been extended until 31 March 2024 and the council has temporarily expanded its eligibility criteria for Local Welfare Assistance payments to support residents in need of additional financial assistance.
The local welfare assistance team can also help with debt advice, budgeting and improving chances of finding a job. Your financial award may be dependent on you attending a session to help in these areas.
If we reject your application, we will provide you with advice and may signpost you to other organisations for help.