Planning advice: Energy-saving improvements

In some cases energy-saving improvements may require planning permission, particularly in conservation areas. Such measures could include external wall insulation, solar photovoltaic panels, solar thermal panels, double glazing and others.

Since January 2013, external wall insulation on individual dwellings has been classed as an alteration for the purposes of 'permitted development', meaning planning permission may not be required. For blocks of flats and certain dwelling types, however, planning permission will be required.

View information on applying for planning permission. The planning portal website gives information on the types of measures that will or will not require planning permission, depending on different conditions. You will need to check whether you live in one of Ealing's conservation areas.

For information on requirements of building control with regard to energy efficiency improvement measures, see the building control pages.