Childcare funding

Help for students

If you are a parent who wants to study or train, you may be able to get help paying for childcare while you study. The government provides colleges and universities with Access funds to help students on benefits and low incomes to participate in learning.

For more information, contact your college or university. Some colleges and universities provide childcare schemes aimed at students on their premises.

If you are in higher education you may qualify for a student loan and/or help with paying your tuition fees. There is also an additional Parents Learning Allowance and a grant for childcare costs.

The application process for fees and loans is undertaken in two parts, eligibility and financial assessment.

Applications are processed by Student Finance England. For more information go to university education.  

Care to learn

If you are under 20 and are learning or training, you can receive help with your childcare and travel costs from the Department for Education's Care to Learn Programme. Alternatively contact the family information service for a Care to Learn information leaflet.