Childcare funding

Tax credits

Child Tax Credit

You can claim Child Tax Credit if you are responsible for one child (or young person) or more. You do not have to be working to claim. Child Tax Credit will be paid in addition to Child Benefit and any Working Tax Credit.

You can claim for a child until 1 September following his/her sixteenth birthday, or a young person aged 16-18 who:

  • Is in full time education, up to and including ‘A’ levelsH
  • Has left full-time education but does not have a job or training place and has registered with the careers or connexions service
  • Is not claiming income support or tax credits in his or her own right
  • Is not serving a custodial sentence of four months or more imposed by a court.

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is a payment to top up the earnings of working people on low incomes. There are extra amounts for working households in which someone has a disability. People who are responsible for a child or young person can claim Working Tax Credit if they are aged 16 years or over and work the following hours:

  • If you are single, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week
  • If you are in a couple, your joint paid working hours need to be at least 24 hours a week, with one of you working at least 16 hours a week.

So if you are a couple and only one of you is working, that person will need to work at least 24 hours a week.

As part of Working Tax Credit, you may qualify for extra help towards the costs of registered or approved childcare. The tax credits could help pay up to 70% of your childcare costs.

If you need further advice about Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit or the claim forms you can visit