A personal licence is needed by anyone intending to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels but not including private members clubs. A personal licence is valid for ten years, unless surrendered, revoked or suspended and the holder is authorised to sell alcohol anywhere in the country at premises that have a valid premises licence.
An applicant for a licence must apply to the council where they live. To be eligible for a personal licence you must fulfil the following criteria:
- be aged 18 years or over
- not have forfeited a personal licence in the last five years
- not been convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence
- possess an accredited qualification
View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence on the GOV.UK website.
Application evaluation process
A copy of the application must also be served on Ealing Police Licensing Team, Ealing Police station, 67-69 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 5SJ
Applications must be submitted on the prescribed form with the discloure of convictions declaration and be accompanied by the following:
- your licensing qualification
- two colour passport photographs, one signed on the back by a professional
- recent criminal records bureau check, not more than one month old
- fee for the licence (£37), cheque made payable to Ealing Council
It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted, therefore tacit consent does not apply. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us.
Applications must be sent to:
The Licensing Team, Regulatory Services, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 2HL.
A holder of a personal licence must notify their council of any change in their name or address or if their licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. A new licence will then be issued and a fee of £10.50 is payable
Failed application redress
If an application for a licence is refused the failed applicant can appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days of the decision.
Any complaints should be made to the Licensing Team, Regulatory Services,
Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL.
Tel: (020) 8825 6655
- Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)
- Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)
For more advice and information please contact us.