Personal licence

Licence summary
A personal licence is needed by anyone intending to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels but not including private members clubs. A personal licence is valid for ten years, unless surrendered, revoked or suspended and the holder is authorised to sell alcohol anywhere in the country at premises that have a valid premises licence.

Eligibility criteria
An applicant for a licence must apply to the council where they live. To be eligible for a personal licence you must fulfil the following criteria:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • not have forfeited a personal licence in the last five years
  • not been convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence 
  • possess an accredited qualification

Regulation summary
View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence on the GOV.UK website. 

Application evaluation process
A copy of the application must also be served on Ealing Police Licensing Team, Ealing Police station, 67-69 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 5SJ

Applications must be submitted on the prescribed form with the discloure of convictions declaration and be accompanied by the following:

  • your licensing qualification
  • two colour passport photographs, one signed on the back by a professional
  • recent criminal records bureau check, not more than one month old
  • fee for the licence (£37), cheque made payable to Ealing Council

Personal licence renewals
The Government is aiming to remove the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 10 years, through the Deregulation Bill, which is currently before Parliament. The first personal licences were granted in early 2005. However, the Bill in unlikely to receive Royal Assent before the tenth anniversary of the date on which the first personal licences were granted. The Government has introduced special arrangements for those Personal Licence Holders whose licences are due for renewal before the Deregulation Bill takes effect.

Personal licence holders will have to submit a completed application form to the relevant licensing authority that has issued their licence no later than one month before the licence expires otherwise it will lapse.  The applicant will also have to enclose their licence or a copy.

Please be aware that if your licence has lapsed and you need it for your employment, you will have no option but to re-apply from scratch.

Applicants will not have to enclose an application fee, photographs, a criminal convictions certificate, criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the Police National Computer.

To ensure that applicants have certainty that their forms have been received, licensing authorities will acknowledge receipt of the application, you should keep this with you to show that you have complied with the renewal procedure. 

Tacit consent
It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted, therefore tacit consent does not apply. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply by post
Application form
Disclosure form
Application to renew a personal licence

Applications must be sent to:
The Licensing Team, Regulatory Services, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 2HL.

A holder of a personal licence must notify their council of any change in their name or address or if their licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. A new licence will then be issued and a fee of £10.50 is payable

Notification of change of address form
Notification of change of name form

Failed application redress
If an application for a licence is refused the failed applicant can appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days of the decision.

Consumer redress
Any complaints should be made to the Licensing Team, Regulatory Services, 
Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL.
Tel: (020) 8825 6655

Trade associations

For more advice and information please contact us