Apply for a visiting forces exemption (Class P)

Households where someone is connected to a visiting force, do not have to pay council tax and can apply for an exemption.

Before you start

The dependents of visiting forces qualify if they are not a British citizen or normally resident in the UK.

The countries covered are: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Fiji, France, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Granada, Guyana, India, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Malawi, Maldives, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Nauru, Netherlands, New Hebrides, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Christopher & Nevis, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, USA, Western Samoa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

You will need

Proof of membership of a visiting force; certificate issued under section 11 of the 1952 Act.

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My Account for updates.

Start form