Apply for an exemption for a property only lived in by the severely mentally impaired (Class U)

People who are severely mentally impaired are not included when working out council tax and can get an exemption.

Before you start

You can give some information on this form to start your claim for an exemption, but we will need to write to you to ask for written permission for us to contact your registered medical practitioner and the Department for Work and Pensions.

The person who is severely mentally impaired must also be entitled to one of these benefits:  

  • Incapacity benefit
  • Attendance allowance at the higher or lower rate
  • Care component of a disability living allowance payable at the middle or higher rate
  • Disablement pension at an increased rate due to constant attendance being needed
  • Disability working allowance
  • Employment and support allowance
  • Unemployability supplement
  • Unemployability allowance payable with war disablement pension
  • Constant attendance allowance
  • Disability premium of income support
  • Personal independence payment (PIP) daily living component at standard or enhanced rate
  • Evidence that one of these entitlements was being paid but ceased on reaching pensionable age
  • Evidence that the person is the partner of someone who is in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance which includes a disability premium or higher pensioner premium
  • Armed forces independence payment
  • Universal credit (where a person has limited capability for work or work-related activity)

You will need

We will ask you to upload benefit documents.

If you are acting on behalf of a person who is severely mentally impaired, please upload a copy of the power of attorney, or other evidence that shows you are allowed to make decisions for them.

Uploading supporting documents

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We will write to your GP.

If you are unable to upload benefit documents, we will write to you asking for more information.

We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days, but it may take longer if we are waiting for a reply from your GP. Please check My Account for updates.

Start form