Online council tax FAQs
How do I access my council tax account?
Please log into your new My Account using your email address and password. Then follow the steps below if you have not already accessed your council tax account.
- Select 'What service are you looking for?'
- Click 'Council Tax' from the drop down list
- Then under 'Request it', select 'View your council tax account'
- On the next screen under 'View your council tax account', select 'Tell us who you are'
- You will then be asked for your full name and council tax account number.
- When you have entered these you will be asked to answer some security questions.
- Enter your full postcode and your unique online key (shown on council tax bill, reminder notice, summons - if you cannot find it contact the My Account support team by telephone 020 8825 7733 – Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).
- You will then be able to access your online account.
I pay my council tax by direct debt. Is this affected?
- No. Council tax direct debit payments already set up are not affected by this change.
What information do I need to carry out a council tax transaction?
- The first time that you carry out a council tax transaction, you will need to tell us your first name, last name and your council tax account number. For security reasons, we will also ask you to answer two of the following questions. Only answer two:
- Online key (shown on council tax bill, reminder notice, summons - if you cannot find it contact the My Account support team by telephone 020 8825 7733 – Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.).
- Current postcode
- Last three digits of the telephone number we hold in our council tax records
- Last three digits of the bank account number (the long eight-digit number) used to pay your direct debit.
- You will only need to provide this extra information once. After the first time, you will be able to view your transactions, and make new ones, without having to answer these questions.
- If the system does not recognise the information you have provided you can try submitting again.
Where do I find my council tax account number?
- You will be able to find this on any of your bills or any other council tax correspondence you have received.
I have already registered for paperless billing do I need to let you know I would like this to continue?
- If you already receive your council tax bills electronically this will continue and you do not have to do anything.
What will happen to my previous transaction history?’
- Any transactions that you have already completed and submitted will still be processed.
- Any transactions that were started, but not completed and submitted will be lost.
- We have not transfered your previous transaction history so when you register for your new account, you will not see any of your previous transactions. Council tax customers will however be able to access copies of their bills and any recovery notices they have received dating back to when they opened their account at their current address (up to 10 years).
How do I see my council tax balance?
Once you have answered two out of the four security questions to access your online council tax account you will be able to see a summary of your account. You can then click the ‘view your bills and recovery notices’ and ‘account activity’ links on the right hand side of the screen to access more detailed information.
Still have a question?
- Check the council tax help page.
- For any other My Account issues, please contact the My Account support team by telephone 020 8825 7733 – Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.