Sexual and reproductive health is an important part of our overall health and wellbeing. Sexual health can be improved through practicing safer sex, using services and support on offer, and keeping up-to-date on sexual risk reduction.
Lots of people have questions about different aspects of sex and relationship and help and support is available for your queries:
- National Sexual Health Helpline: talk about your sexual health concerns on 0300 123 7123 - free confidential helpline open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday.
- The family planning association (FPA): Useful information and advice on a wide range of topics for everyone, with special sections for young people, parents and professionals.
- Brook advisory service: Brook offers free, confidential advice and information specifically for young people aged under 25.
- Education for choice (EFC): Information for young people to make an informed choice about abortion.
- Thinkuknow: Help and advice for keeping safe online.
- NHS Choices
- Sex without using a condom puts you at greater risk of unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STI). It also means using condoms correctly every time you have sex, and having the confidence to say no: For advice on using condoms properly see the family planning association's booklet on condoms.
Sexual and reproductive health clinics and services
Clinical, online and other free services are available for contraception, for the testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and advice.
These can be accessed locally in Ealing, other outer northwest London boroughs, through services provided by London Northwest Health Care.
The London Sexual Health e-service provides free and easy access to online and local venues for sexual health testing and contraception, for people over 16 living in Ealing.
The NHS website also lists other sexual health clinical services in different areas that can be accessed.
Support services for people living with, and affected by, HIV
Ealing residents living with, or affected by HIV, can access these support services:
- Living well: Health and wellbeing services to help people overcome challenges of living with HIV. This includes counselling, life coaching, self management programmes and positive mental health and wellbeing groups. Living Well also offer training programmes for health providers.
- Positively UK: peer-led emotional and practical support to people living with HIV in Ealing. Specialist one-to-one and group support for heterosexual men and women, gay men, the African community, young people and people aged 50 or more is available.