New arrangements came into force (from April 2015), which strengthen the importance of sustainable drainage as a material consideration in planning decisions.
The local planning authority in consultation with the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) will make sure:
- that SuDS are used in major developments
- that SuDS provide wider benefits which include biodiversity, water quality, amenity and attenuation
- that developments aim to achieve greenfield run-off rates
- that the minimum standards of operation proposed by the applicant are appropriate
- through the use of planning conditions or planning obligations that there are clear arrangements in place for ongoing maintenance of the SuDS scheme over the lifetime of the development