Street works licence

Apply for a street works licence

If you want to carry out work on or near a public road and you are not a utility company, you need a Section 50 (street works) or Section 171 (temporary excavation) licence from us. 

Before you start

The company named on the public liability insurance document should apply. 

If a sewer connection is also needed, you will need a Thames Water Section 106 agreement for the site address.

You will need

  • Work location
  • Description of the work    
  • Site plans
  • NRSWA (New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991) qualifications (operative and supervisor)
  • Valid public liability insurance. It must cover the time the licence will be in place and cover at least £5million
  • Traffic management plans 
  • Credit or debit card to pay a non-refundable admin fee (£500) and refundable deposit.

Uploading supporting documents 

You will be asked to upload some documents; Proof of public liability insurance, NRSWA qualifications (operative and supervisor), traffic management plans and site drawings, utility agreement if needed eg Thames Water Section 106 agreement.

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt) 
  • Zip files can't be uploaded 
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png  
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB.

What happens next

We aim to give you the licence within 10 working days. 

This form should take approximately 10 minutes to complete

Start form