You need a licence to place a temporary structure on or over a street.
A temporary structure is:
- Building materials, Portaloo or container
- A crane or cherry picker on a public road
- A crane on a private site that will extend over the public road.
Use this form to renew or apply for a temporary structure licence. You can also ask for a refund for an existing licence.
Before you start
The company named on the public liability insurance document should apply.
You are responsible for making sure:
- The structure is located as shown in the application and as directed in the licence
- Care and attention to public safety when installing and removing the structure
- The public are kept out of the work area, while still having access to the pavement
- The structure complies with the conditions placed on the licence
- The public street around the structure is kept clean
- The structure is removed by the expiry date of the licence. You may get a fine if the structure is on site after the licence expires.
You will need
- A copy of your public liability insurance policy. It must cover the time the temporary structure licence will be in place and cover at least £5million
- A plan, diagram or drawing showing clearly where the temporary structure will be located
- Size of the structure; length, width and height
- Licence number (for renewals)
- A credit or debit card to pay:
- Refundable deposit, based on the area of the street affected
- Non-refundable admin fee of £150
- Site inspection fee of £50 a month.
Uploading supporting documents
You will be asked to upload some documents; proof of public liability insurance, a plan, diagram or drawing showing clearly where the temporary structure will be located.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files can't be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB.
What happens next
We aim to give you the licence within 10 working days.
This form should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.