CCTV: Public safety

The public safety CCTV system is owned and operated by Ealing Council, in partnership with the Metropolitan Police.

There is a 24-hour control room, which monitors and records images from CCTV systems in streets, off-street car parks and housing estates in the borough. These activities are carried out in accordance with the law and relevant codes of practice. 

For more information about public safety CCTV please email:

To report a crime and disorder you must contact the Police - please dial 999 in an emergency or 101 in a non-emergency. Should the police require CCTV footage for their investigations they will contact us. 

Requests for CCTV images

CCTV footage is held for 31 days and is automatically deleted after this time. If CCTV footage is required of an incident, such as a road traffic accident which occurred within the last 31 days in the borough of Ealing, the request should be sent by an insurance company or solicitor on behalf of their client.  

We deal directly with your insurance company/solicitor if it's a non-criminal traffic matter or the police if it is a criminal related offence. The police has a direct process with the council to review footage in the course of a criminal investigation.

Please note: We must be satisfied that the request is legitimate and genuine before any images can be released.

The Data Protection Act 2018 enables a request to be made in the following circumstances by third parties for any one or more of the following purposes:

  • Providing evidence in criminal proceedings (Schedule 2 Part 1 5(3))
  • Providing evidence in civil proceedings or tribunals (Schedule 2 Part 1 5(3))
  • Prevention of crime (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))
  • Investigation and detection of crime (may include identification of offenders) (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))
  • Identification of witnesses. (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))

Third parties must show adequate grounds for disclosure of data within the above criteria. Third parties may include, but are not limited to:

  • Police
  • Statutory authorities with powers to prosecute, (eg Customs and Excise; Trading Standards, etc)
  • Solicitors
  • Claimants in civil proceedings
  • Accused persons or defendants in criminal proceedings
  • Other agencies with a genuine purpose

Payment for CCTV images

We recommend that you check the CCTV cameras to ensure that a camera is in the area of the incident you are asking about.

A search fee is required when you request a search to see if there is footage available of the incident which they have provided details of. The search fee is £105

If there is footage, a release fee of £105 must be paid before the footage is provided.

We endeavour to respond to CCTV requests within three days. If there is no footage you will receive an email advising that the result is negative.

Traffic incident related CCTV search and disclosure requests should only be made by an insurance company and/or a solicitor on behalf of their client.

Please note: Requests from members of the public will be considered invalid and will not be progressed.

Request a search

Subject Access Request

You have a right to obtain a copy of CCTV footage that shows you. This is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).

Further details and how to apply for a SAR

For CCTV subject access requests, usually we only provide footage relating to the individual making the request unless all other individuals who may be identified from the same information have consented to the disclosure or it is appropriate in all the circumstances to release the footage without their consent.