Brexit and EU citizens

European Union Settled Status

Read this page in your language: 
Polish  |  Portuguese  |  Italian  |  Romanian  |  Spanish  |   French  |  Bulgarian  |  Greek  |  German  |  Hungarian 

Current situation for people from countries in the European Union

Those who already have five years continuous lawful residency in the UK will be eligible for settled status.  Others will be able to remain in the UK to build-up five years' continuous residence provided they apply for pre-settled status.

The deadline for applying will be 31 March 2022, though you must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you're joining a family member in the UK you may be able to apply after this date.

EU citizens and their family members who obtain settled status in the UK will be granted indefinite leave to stay. Family members is defined as spouses (husband/wife), civil partners and durable partners, dependent children and grandchildren, and dependent parents and dependent grandparents.

Irish citizens do not need to apply for settled status.

Indefinite leave to remain provides the same rights and access to benefits, education and healthcare as those who have acquired permanent status.

Children born or adopted after the UK leaves the EU to those covered by the agreement, will be protected. Future spouses and partners of EU citizens who want to come to the UK after it has left the EU, will need to meet the UK's immigration rules.

If you would like help with the identification verification process of the European Settlement Service, please contact the council's registrars service on 020 8825 7809 to book an appointment.  For pre-booked weekday appointments there will be a charge of £15 and for a Saturday or a weekday drop-in appointment there will be a charge of £25. 

Changes to ID cards at the UK Border

From Friday, 1 October 2021, almost all EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will need a valid passport to enter the UK as the government stopped accepting national identity (ID) cards as a travel document. However, if you have pre-settled or settled status under the EUSS you can continue to use your ID card to travel until at least 2025 as long as you update your online account with all valid travel documents. 

Further information

Find more information about exiting the EU and UK residence, or to register with the Home Office in order to receive information updates on GOV.UK 

As has been the case prior to the referendum, if you are an extended family member from the European Economic Area (EEA), or a Swiss person and are not qualified in your own right, you can apply for a registration certificate. View the application.

Ealing CVS provides free advice and support in applying for EU settled status. Find out more by calling the free EU Settlement Advice Line, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm on 0800 0564 745 

Ealing Law Centre provides free advice and support for complex cases applying for EU settled status and pre-settled status.  Find out more by calling 0208 579 4598 or email 

The European Commission has provided some useful frequently asked questions and answers regarding the rights of EU Citizens in the UK.  

To find an immigration advisor or solicitor near you who can provide independent legal advice, visit the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (ILPA) or the Law Society.

For free advice on obtaining residence documentation for EEA nationals and their family to achieve settled status, see the UK Citizenship for European Nationals