Town twinning


Bielany is one of 11 districts in Warsaw, Poland's capital.  It is located in the Northwest part of Warsaw and its population is approximately 150,000. Bielany is the second largest populated area of Warsaw and represents 9% of the capital's population. Civic links with Bielany were set up in April 1999 and a declaration confirming the town twinning link was formalised in November 2001. During that time there have been various civic visits and cultural and educational links between the two communities.


The Bielany district is situated on the left bank of the Vistula River and on the post-glacial upland in the northwest part of Warsaw. Its central part is located within 14 km distance from the centre of Warsaw. There are two transportation routes running through the district: the northern escape route leading to Gdazsk and Armii Krajowej Avenue connecting the eastern and western parts of the city.

Bielany today

Bielany is one of Warsaw's most attractive tourist destinations owing to its woods and parks, such as the Bielany Kampinos National Park - the second largest national park in Europe. Over 28% of Bielany is occupied by green spaces.

There are approximately 16 000 businesses operating in Bielany. Most of them are in retail, manufacturing, engineering, printing and publishing.

Bielany boasts flourishing scientific centres and schools for higher education – over 20% of Bielany's residents possess a university degree.

The district is also very well equipped in sports facilities, ranging from a school of Higher Education – the Jozef Pilsudski Academy of Physical Education (AWF), HUTNIK Steel Works Sports Club, to sports clubs such as the academic Sport Association AWF and Club Rugby Folk Sport. Every secondary and primary school has sports facilities. 


The district name Bielany is probably derived from white monk's frocks of Cameldolite (a contemplative Catholic order with strict rules of conduct, was established as a reformed faction of the Benedictine Order in Italy). The king Wladyslaw IV endowed the Cameldolites in 1639 with forest-covered land known as Polkowa Mountain, located near Warsaw. On this area monks built the church of the Immaculate Mary and poor hermitages formerly used by individual monks. To the present day the Cameldolite Monastery Complex is one of the most valuable monuments of Beilany. In 1915 the church and areas of the monks were taken over by the Marian priests who opened a famous gymnasium in 1928. In September 1939 Polish soldiers of the 30 th Kaniowski Rifles Regiment resisted the German Attack on Bielany. 

For more information please visit:

Bielany steering group

The Bielany steering group is Ealing's Polish Town Twinning group.  It is jointly led by elected members and leading members of the long-established local Polish community.  The steering group is chaired by Cllr Michael Elliot and supported by Cllr Julie Clements-Elliot, Cllr Ranjit Dheer, Cllr Barbara Yerolemou and Cllr Karazinski.

For more information please contact Valerie Borne,