Where is it?
Access: The main entrance is from the Uxbridge Road. Access also from The Vale, East Acton Avenue and Churchfields Road.
Bus: 207, 266, 70, E3
Tube: Acton Town (Piccadilly and District line)
Train: Acton Central
Parking: There are no car parking facilities onsite. The nearest car park is located on the East Churchfield Road next to St Mary’s Burial Ground at a cost of 60p per hour.
- bowling green and pavilion
- tennis courts
- multi use games area
- play centre
- play ground
- café - opening times 10am-5pm all week but times may change during the winter season
- Apple art block who run community and art projects with young people
- tennis courts
- basketball/football court
- climbing block
About the park
Acton Park contains and provides all sorts of facilities and features. These different facilities and features are important as they provide recreational, ecological, horticultural, landscape, heritage and utility values. Acton Park is a well respected and loved site by the local community and is rarely empty. It is used to full capacity during the summer months especially.
Brief history of site
The park opened to the public in 1888 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. A dying Dutch Elm tree, one of the last in the borough, close to the main entrance has been transformed into a dramatic 28-foot carved statue called the Twilight Tree.
The northern boundary was changed and disturbed during the 1939-1945 war. There were allotments in this part of the site but in October 1945 prefabs were constructed to house ex servicemen. There was a considerable sloping bank along the northern edge of the park but when the prefabs were removed this was also removed.
The middle entrance on the northern boundary is a modern addition to the park, created as a result of a flying bomb demolishing numbers 4, 6, 8 and 10 East Churchfields Road. A railing extends around the park on the north eastern and south eastern sides. Most of the railings are modern but there are some areas of historic railings at the entrances.
An important site for nature conservation is in the southern part of the site where the ponds are located. There is a hedge, a large pond and wildflower meadow area. There are many significant mature trees, of which there are some fine specimens.